Friday, June 22, 2012

Marshmallow Fondant Trials

Recently I have been teaching myself how to decorate cakes.  I decided to try fondant, but I know nothing about it.  I have never even tasted fondant but it always looks so pretty so I thought I'd try it.  I found several recipes for Marshmallow fondant here , here and here although all the recipes seem relatively the same, the comments where helpful and all of the reviews said it was easy and tasted great, so I was sold!

So far it was a very easy project.  The biggest lesson I learned the hard way was to not use Crisco when I dug my hands into the dough.  It was quite comical trying to get it back off my hands again.  Definitely use Crisco on your hands when mixing.  The other big difference was that most people used a kitchen aid mixer with the dough mixer/hook and I don't have a Kitchen Aid but that was no problem, just helped build a little muscle!
Supplies...and big mess.

Put some Crisco in a bowl on the side so you can dip your fingers in as needed

Sticky sticky sticky mess.  Mix most of the sugar into the bowl, makes less mess later

Finally done and I impatiently had to wait overnight to play with it

Very 1st attempts at roses.  I had to hang it upside down to keep the petals from falling too much.  Using the right amount of water to get them to stick was key.

Started small by attempting to cover an oreo.  Was not easy. 















This is where I stopped for now.  I am sure there will be more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I find inspiration in others as well as myself and therefor welcome your ideas. Please leave a tasteful message or constructive criticism. Any rude comments will be deleted. Thank you.