Friday, June 22, 2012

Being Jobless 6/22/2012

So it has been a while since I have documented any of my new projects or experiments mostly because it has been a while since I've had time.  Recently I quit my job because I was really unhappy and was not able to immediately find another job so I have had almost an entire month of down time in the house by myself. Aside from spending 4-6 hrs a day searching for and applying for jobs, I have learned a few things about myself.  I have learned that I would not make a good homemaker.  I figured out I am a crafty procrastinator and have allowed my crafts to be the excuse for why the house isn't clean or completely unpacked.  I actually get more done when I have more on my plate (i.e. a job).  That way there is no time to think about distracting myself.  Sadly that also means my craft time is cut short also.

Having all this time off also means I have been able to pull out some of those older projects where I got the stuff for it but never had time to complete the projects.  This week's project has been to teach myself how to decorate cakes.  I started with homemade marshmallow fondant and worked my way up to making flowers, and practicing decorating oreo cookies.  Trust me, the youtube videos make laying fondant look much easier than it is.  I also want to try the royal icing flowers that way maybe one day I can help a friend make a wedding cake, or do the decorations for my own.  I would also have the skillset to do many birthday cakes in between.

One thing to learn about me is I am incredibly impatient and if I can find an easier/cheaper way to do something, I will try it.  Anyway, it's been a while since I've emptied the camera and I took a few pics of my experiments this week so I thought I'd share how they went right, and how they went very wrong.  That reminds me, I wish I had taken pictures but earlier this week I wanted to make pizza and we use the pillsbury pizza dough which I happened to have frozen.  We set it out but it was still frozen in the middle and by then I had already layed everything out and it was too late to give up.  I thought about microwaving it but that might have cooked it.  I don't know how to use the defrost setting for anything other than meat so....I pulled out the hair dryer and thawed the pizza dough with my hair dryer.  We had a good laugh and I'm sure it looked silly, but it worked and the pizza turned out great (thanks to mom's homemade pizza sauce recipe she gave me when I moved out of the house)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I find inspiration in others as well as myself and therefor welcome your ideas. Please leave a tasteful message or constructive criticism. Any rude comments will be deleted. Thank you.