Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Bleached Recycled T-Shirt Covered Recipe Book



Ugly old Photo Binder
 

Pretty New Binder







 


I have this really ugly photo book that I got for free that I have been using as a recipe book.  I write my recipes on index cards and put them in the sleeves.  I have been thinking about recovering it with fabric but don't have any scraps at the moment.  I do however have this old t-shirt that I accidently ruined with superglue that would look awesome with a bleach treatment.  I have never done the bleach treatments before so here is the tutorial.  Did a few things right and a few wrong.  Only way to learn!
 Supplies:
-Cheap paintbrushes (you don't mind if they get ruined)
-book
-old t-shirt
-bleach (I had general cleaner with bleach in it and it worked just as well as plain bleach.  I figured this out by accident, ruined a favorite skirt while cleaning)
-Glue (I used spray glue, modge podge works just as well)
-exacto knives ( used multiple tips that allowed me to get the curves better)
-contact paper
-pattern (optional, printed from online)
-Piece of scrap cardboard



I printed a clipart from online and put it on the clipboard with a piece of contact paper over top.  I used the exacto knives to cut out the clipart from the contact paper. 


Recipes on index cards in the recipe book.  The open book fits on the tee shirt.  I put a piece of cardboard between the layers of the t-shirt so it didn't leak through and make a mess.
To see exactly where to put the images on the t-shirt, I cut pieces of paper the same size as the front cover, binding and back cover.


And laid them out on the t-shirt

I then stuck the contact paper to the t-shirt where the pages were, leaving the binding paper in place as a reference.
 
Here is where things stopped working as I expected.  I used paintbrushes to brush on the bleach...and it bled quite a bit under the contact paper (as you can see from the design on the left).  To compensate, for the design on the right, I used a brush that was much smaller than the cut out area to allow for some bleeding.  I then peeled off the contact paper and hand painted a few flowers in the gaps.  It took about 5-10 minutes for the bleach to fully change the color.  I intended to leave it on for 20 minutes to be sure it set and then this happened....


Before.
After.  The bleach ate the brushes.  It was only a matter of time before it ate into the t-shirt too.


I Washed and dried the tshirt by itself.  I opened the book and laid it across the images.  Traced with a marker, leaving one inch extra on each side and cut it out.

I Rolled the image and press flat with my hands, making sure to get out all of the wrinkles.  Sprayed the front of the book with the spray glue.  Placed the roll on the book making sure to leave an inch around all edges.  Unrolled a little at a time making sure to pull taught to keep any wrinkles from forming.  It takes a little bit for the glue to set so if there is a wrinkle, you should be able to pull the fabric back up and press out the wrinkle with your hands.  Do this for the binding and the back of the book, being careful when spraying not to get glue inside the book. 

When I was done covering the outside of the book, I left an inch of fabric around each edge.  I Used modge podge and a brush, put glue on the book around the edges and press the fabric down flat.  I was not too concerned with flat edges so I didnt cut the fabric very straight (I don't have that kind of patience).  I left it open for the glue to dry. 

Front
Back
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I find inspiration in others as well as myself and therefor welcome your ideas. Please leave a tasteful message or constructive criticism. Any rude comments will be deleted. Thank you.